Please join us for an exciting informal chat session with John and Joyce Hofland.
Here are some interesting facts about John and Joyce:
1. They have two children: Christi Anne and Stephanie. Stephanie is married to Justin Hallam and lives in Seattle. Christi Anne is the director of America House in Kyiv.
2. They have been to Ukraine many time, starting way back in 1993, when John was a guest
lecturer at the Kharkiv Pedagogical Institute. In 1995 the whole Hofland family - including
Christi Anne Hofland, the director of America House in Kyiv - lived in Kharkiv for half a year when John was working at the Pedagogical University and the State Puppet Theatre in Kharkiv. Since that time they have been to Ukraine many time to visit, conduct research,
lecture, and collaborate with Ukrainian theatre artists.
3. John and Joyce have been able to visit nearly 20 countries, and their travels have
developed into a business: they have a website called ArtAchieve that offers online art
lessons based on objects from around the world.
4. They admit they have not been very good learners of foreign languages, although they do know a few Russian words and some Polish.
5. John and Joyce often spend their evenings reading. Recently they have been reading the history of the Soviet gulag and the holodomor, inspirational books, the novel Camille, and books about American history.
6. They grew up on farms in Iowa, and love to work in their garden where they raise
vegetables, flowers, and fruit. In fact they enjoy gardening so much that they are now the
leaders of a gardening club that has planted a big flower garden at the church they attend in Spokane, Washington.
7. They are both retired teachers. Joyce taught elementary school children and preschoolers. John has taught middle school children and university students.
8. They both enjoy helping others. One recent project was to help collect over 150 blankets to give to needy people.
9. They like to cook, and are especially fond of trying new recipes. Recently they have been learning to cook Moroccan cuisine.
Remember to bring your passport or driver's license.
Erin Gasim, Associate Director of International Admissions, The School of the Art Institute of Chicago will be conducting a presentation to share tips for preparing an art portfolio for undergraduate studies.
Come to America House and chat with Chazmin “Chaz” Peters, who was born and raised in Olympia, WA. She is a First Officer with Alaska Airlines and the Director of Eagles Aviation Camp. She received her flight training from Big Bend Community College in Moses Lake, WA and her BA from the University of Washington Tacoma.
Have you already tried the U.S. Air Force National Museum virtual tour at America House? Come explore it while having a chat with our friend Ryan who has a lot to say about the sky, planes, and his life experience in general.
Під час тренінгу: що таке віртуальна реальність, коли і як було створено цю технологію; перші прототипи та різновиди сучасних пристроїв; найцікавіші VR-проекти; що таке додана (AR) та змішана (MR) реальності та в чому їх відмінності; інструменти розробки та їх відмінності.
With her New York-centric essays, Sloane Crosley takes a magnifying glass to modernity. Parsing the nuances, trends, and perceptions of Big City life she offers up some cleverly hilarious insights about the way we live now.
A haven for Black intellectuals, artists and revolutionaries-and path of promise toward the American dream-Black colleges and universities have educated the architects of freedom movements and cultivated leaders in every field. They have been unapologetically Black for 150 years. For the first time ever, their story is told.
Бажаєш навчатися у США, але бракує знань як цього досягнути? Відвідай презентацію, щоб дізнатися про процес вступу, фінансування своєї освіти та послуги, що надають центри EducationUSA.
You’ll witness the competition of the strongest public speakers in two categories: Humorous and Impromptu Speeches! The battle will be a fierce one as there will be only one winner in each category.