Please join us for an exciting informal chat session with John and Joyce Hofland.
Here are some interesting facts about John and Joyce:
1. They have two children: Christi Anne and Stephanie. Stephanie is married to Justin Hallam and lives in Seattle. Christi Anne is the director of America House in Kyiv.
2. They have been to Ukraine many time, starting way back in 1993, when John was a guest
lecturer at the Kharkiv Pedagogical Institute. In 1995 the whole Hofland family - including
Christi Anne Hofland, the director of America House in Kyiv - lived in Kharkiv for half a year when John was working at the Pedagogical University and the State Puppet Theatre in Kharkiv. Since that time they have been to Ukraine many time to visit, conduct research,
lecture, and collaborate with Ukrainian theatre artists.
3. John and Joyce have been able to visit nearly 20 countries, and their travels have
developed into a business: they have a website called ArtAchieve that offers online art
lessons based on objects from around the world.
4. They admit they have not been very good learners of foreign languages, although they do know a few Russian words and some Polish.
5. John and Joyce often spend their evenings reading. Recently they have been reading the history of the Soviet gulag and the holodomor, inspirational books, the novel Camille, and books about American history.
6. They grew up on farms in Iowa, and love to work in their garden where they raise
vegetables, flowers, and fruit. In fact they enjoy gardening so much that they are now the
leaders of a gardening club that has planted a big flower garden at the church they attend in Spokane, Washington.
7. They are both retired teachers. Joyce taught elementary school children and preschoolers. John has taught middle school children and university students.
8. They both enjoy helping others. One recent project was to help collect over 150 blankets to give to needy people.
9. They like to cook, and are especially fond of trying new recipes. Recently they have been learning to cook Moroccan cuisine.
Remember to bring your passport or driver's license.
The exhibition in America House displays major corruption schemes, as well as methods and approaches being used today around the world to fight corruption. It explains not only how corruption works, but also what is being done nationally and internationally to combat it.
This week we're working on our final consonant pronunciation and then transferring that expert pronunciation practice into quick and easy minute speeches. Bring your creativity and fun spirits.
Bring your creativity and holiday cheer as we create our own twists on classic or unusual holiday traditions.
Бізнес план - невід'ємна складова будь-якого успішного стартапу. Найчастіше, хороший бізнес-план - єдиний аргумент, котрий дозволяє переконати грантодавчі організації та інвесторів, що варто профондувати саме ВАШ проект.
Бажаєш навчатися у США, але бракує знань як цього досягти? Відвідай нашу щомісячну презентацію, щоб дізнатися про процес вступу, фінансування своєї освіти та послуги, що надають центри EducationUSA.
Share the holiday spirit with America House. Come here, listen to the smooth sounds of the musicians, warm up with some hot drinks and cookies, make the craziest wishes to Santa Claus and sing your favorite Christmas songs if you feel like that! It’s the last Open Mic of the year, so bring your friends.
Come to America House and meet the US reporter Hugh Lessig and the award-winning photographer Jonathon Gruenke.
Are you just beginning to learn English? Did you study English when you were young, but haven't practiced in many years? Do you sometimes feel lost when everyone around you is using English? If so, then we have a new course designed just for you.