Please join us for an exciting informal chat session with John and Joyce Hofland.
Here are some interesting facts about John and Joyce:
- They have two children: Christi Anne and Stephanie. Stephanie is married to Justin Hallam and lives in Seattle. Christi Anne is the director of America House in Kyiv.
- They have been to Ukraine many time, starting way back in 1993, when John was a guest lecturer at the Kharkiv Pedagogical Institute. In 1995 the whole Hofland family - including Christi Anne Hofland, the director of America House in Kyiv - lived in Kharkiv for half a year when John was working at the Pedagogical University and the State Puppet Theatre in Kharkiv. Since that time they have been to Ukraine many time to visit, conduct research, lecture, and collaborate with Ukrainian theatre artists.
- John and Joyce have been able to visit nearly 20 countries, and their travels have developed into a business: they have a website called ArtAchieve that offers online art lessons based on objects from around the world.
- They admit they have not been very good learners of foreign languages, although they do know a few Russian words and some Polish.
- John and Joyce often spend their evenings reading. Recently they have been reading the history of the Soviet gulag and the holodomor, inspirational books, the novel Camille, and books about American history.
- They grew up on farms in Iowa, and love to work in their garden where they raise vegetables, flowers, and fruit. In fact they enjoy gardening so much that they are now the leaders of a gardening club that has planted a big flower garden at the church they attend in Spokane, Washington.
- They are both retired teachers. Joyce taught elementary school children and preschoolers. John has taught middle school children and university students.
- They both enjoy helping others. One recent project was to help collect over 150 blankets to give to needy people.
- They like to cook, and are especially fond of trying new recipes. Recently they have been learning to cook Moroccan cuisine.
Remember to bring your passport or driver's license.