English Language Residency at America House Kyiv
Become a cultural ambassador and promote English language learning and mutual understanding through an exchange program. Build skills to advance your career. Share your professional expertise, learn about Ukrainian culture, and gain international experience.
Through the U.S. Embassy in Kyiv, IREX is recruiting a trained and experienced English teaching professional for a 12-month full time English Language Residency at America House Kyiv.
America House is the United States’ premier destination for culture, education and outreach in Ukraine. A comfortable, tech-forward space for open dialogue, idea generation and innovation, America House hosts a wide variety of activities, including discussions on pressing policy issues, speaker series, workshops, movie nights, discussion clubs, art exhibits, and concerts. All programs and resources are free.
America House English language programming extends beyond lessons, lectures, and traditional learning and engages Ukrainians in language skill development through events, movie screenings, discussions, language clubs, and other innovative programs. The resident will have a unique opportunity to work as an integral part of a dynamic and creative team to develop and implement innovative programs that engage target audiences through English language learning and exposure to U.S. culture and society. Specific programs may include, but are not limited to:
- America House English Speaking Club in which over 80 Ukrainians attend each week for interactive language practice
- Movie Night Facilitation
- Documentary Screening Facilitation
- Writing Workshops
- Media Literacy Workshops
- American Literature Club
- TOEFL Preparation
- Thematic English language events/programs connected to American Holidays such as Thanksgiving, New Years, and Independence Day.
- Communications support including writing/editing English language content for the America House English language blog
- Coordinate and American Studies program for Ukrainian University Students
- Outreach programs to train trainers and develop English language programming in the 27 regional American spaces outside Kyiv
- Additional periodical events, such as English parties, city-wide English scavenger hunts, English games day, and English programs that relate to America House’s overall programming goals, which include promoting civil society development, good governance and rule of law, economic development, tolerance, diversity, human rights, free flow of ideas and information, and enhancing U.S./Ukraine mutual understanding.
To apply for the program, applicants must demonstrate:
- U.S. citizenship
- Native English Speaker competency
- Good health. Grantees will be required to submit a satisfactory Medical Certificate from a physician.
- Higher education degree in TESOL, applied linguistics, or a field related to English language teaching
- Applicants with a higher education degree in an unrelated field are eligible to apply if they have one of the following:
- TESOL certificate with at least 120 course hours
- Current, valid, and full state teacher credential, certification, or license with specialization in ESL or equivalent
- Minimum 2 years teaching experience
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience with classroom management, curriculum development, and materials and/or resources development
- Experience teaching at a university or at an adult learning institution
- Demonstrated flexibility, cultural adaptability, resourcefulness, curiosity, desire and ability to live and work abroad, and strong motivation for pursuing the ELR position
- Demonstrated leadership and problem-solving skills, excellent work ethic, ability to take initiative, good judgment and a collaborative team player
- Demonstrated ability/desire to incorporate modern technologies into program design
- Experience living and teaching English abroad, particularly experience living/working in Ukraine
- Understanding of Ukraine’s higher education system and/or U.S. Government Exchange programs is considered an advantage
The selected resident will receive the following benefits:
- Travel to and from Kyiv to home city, U.S.
- Stipend and living allowance
- Shipping allowance
- Pre-departure and post-arrival allowance
- Travel insurance
- Assistance to maintain legal status in Ukraine for the duration of the residency
Deadline August 2, 2018. Only selected candidates will be contacted.
If you have any questions about the residency, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.